Mayweather backs out; Fight with Pacquiao Canceled

pacmay_featured

Reports are coming in from different sources that the scheduled boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao has been canceled due to Mayweather pulling out just a few weeks before the scheduled May 2 fight.

This latest development apparently stems from the recent rumored knock out of Mayweather during a sparring session last week with former world champion Zab Judah at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas.

‘No Mas’

Inside sources say that Mayweather never recovered mentally from the that knock out and has been in reclusion since Thursday, March 27. Before disappearing from the public, he was heard by one of his trainers saying, “I ain’t doing this sh*t no more”, referring to the bout with Pacquiao. He also said that he was not mentally and physically into it and wanted to just move on with his perfect winning record and retire completely.

Mayweather’s camp apparently has tried to keep a lid on the situation for days. None of Mayweather’s representatives can be reached for comment, however.

Business as Usual

Meahwhile, the Pacquiao camp seems to think that the bout is still on, as Pacquiao is seen still doing an early morning work out in Los Angeles. When asked, Pacquaio’s trainer, Freddie Roach said that they have not been informed saying that they are continuing training “until such a time that they are formally notified that the fight is canceled”. Roach also said that there are clauses in the contract which both fighters signed regarding monetary compensation. Roach said that if the rumor is true, Mayweather will have to pay Pacquaio $10 million for compensatory damages.

The May 2 fight, which many sport writers have been referring to as the “Fight of the Century” has taken several years in the making, with both parties’ camps not seeing eye to eye in at least three different occasions before the historic announcements just several weeks ago.